Cairnryan Military Port
During World War 2, the country needed a ‘spare’ deep water port on the west coast in case the Clyde in Glasgow or the Mersey in Liverpool became unusable due to enemy action. Loch Ryan was ideal, and Number 2 Military Port was built on its northern shore at Cairnryan between 1941 and 1943.
There were three piers, the main ones being the North Deep and South Deep, and a total of 1.5 miles of quayside. There was also a railway network which connected to the main line at Stranraer. Thankfully, the port was never needed for its original purpose as the other ports remained open throughout the war. However Cairnryan was still an important site as one of the main points for American troop ships to dock.